Your Marriage = His Church I
“Out of respect for Christ, be courteously reverent to one another.” Ephesians 5:21 (The Message)
Things didn’t go the way they were planned when America’s Keswick hosted their Couples Conference during the Valentines weekend. First of all there were the effects of winter weather all over the grounds in the form of snow and ice. That’s not unusual but it was enough to keep the speakers from making the trip from North Carolina which also had been under the same effect. Then Saturday morning’s prayer time with the men grew to a point that we had to borrow chairs from the Raws Auditorium to seat everyone. But the thing that stuck out was that no one really did the standard “Wives respect your Husbands, Husbands love your Wives” kinda message.
I was blessed to share devotions with everyone on Sunday morning, that’s when it was time to go into the wives/husband message. But I had a twist and it involves Christ and His church. So guy’s (and gals, and yes, we know who you are) I would like to share with you what I shared with those couples that weekend. So if you have your Bibles open it to Ephesians 5:21-32, read it and lets dive into it shall we…When we look at this passage of Scripture we can see 4 things that the Apostle Paul makes known that husbands and wives are to understand…
1. Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ.
2. The duty of wives are submission to their husbands in the Lord, which includes honoring and obeying them, from a principle of love to them.
3. The duty of husbands is to love their wives. And the example of how that love is to be is as how Christ loves the church, because Christ gave Himself for the church, so that He might sanctify it in this world and glorify it in the next.
4. Jesus Christ wants to bestow on all members of His church body a principle of holiness, deliver them from the guilt, the pollution, and the dominion of sin, by the influence of the Holy Spirit, of which baptismal water being the outward sign.
And then we see that the apostle Paul reminds us of the divine ordinance of marriage and settling the law of it, “For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother and shall be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. [Gen.2:24] This mystery is very great, but I speak concerning [the relation of] Christ and the church.” (Eph 5:32 AMP) In the KJV the key words are “cleave” and “one flesh”. First a man leaves his father and mother. Next he cleaves to his wife and they become one flesh. When the KJV was translated “cleave” meant: “To unite or be united closely in interest or affection; to adhere with strong attachment,” and “One flesh” is defined at the time as “intimate relations,” (Webster’s 1828 Dictionary)
So we see the Biblical version of marriage is composed of three parts:
1) Leaving the father and mother.
2) Man and woman “cleaving” together, otherwise committing to stick together.
3) Man and woman becoming “one flesh” (or having intimate relations, aka sex.).
There was no ceremony, there was no contract, and there was no preacher there to marry Adam and Eve. Today people get confused about what marriage really is, and don’t even know it. Today marriage is an agreement between a man and a woman (and I’m not going into the other issue that The LORD considers an abomination) along with a contract between the man, woman, and government, finalized in a ceremony performed by a preacher or justice of the peace.
So the three parts of the new world order version of marriage today also consists of three parts…
1) A contract between the couple and the government.
2) An agreed upon union.
3) A ceremony performed by a pastor or justice of the peace.
There is more to follow but as for today I hope we laid a good foundation. I pray that this will begin to get our mind set on how our marriages are a reflection of His church, Amen? – Chris Hughes is a weekly Freedom Fighter Blogger and a graduate of the Colony of Mercy
Think About This: “The chasm between the Biblical vision of marriage and the common human conception is, and always has been, enormous. Some cultures in history respect the importance and the permanence of marriage more than others. Some, like the 21st century Western world, have such a low, casual, take-it-or-leave-it attitudes towards marriage as to make the Biblical vision seem ludicrous to most people.”—John Piper
Verses to Memorize: Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth.For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. Colossians 3:1-3 (New Living Translation)