Characteristics of a Servant According to God’s Heart
For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many. Matthew 20:28
If we are honest, we are all servants at one point or another. If you serve in the work environment, as an employee we serve our boss, or if an employer, we are called to serve our staff. In marriage, we are to serve each other. As a parent, we need to have a servant heart with our kids.
Author Don Lessin in his book Abba Cry, (Dayspring) shares 31 characteristics of a servant according to God’s heart:
- The presence of the Lord rests upon his life.
2. He speaks with power and authority.
3. He loves what God loves.
4. He seeks God’s purposes.
5. He is fearful of displeasing God.
6. He inspires trust.
7. His word is true.
8. He is deeply identified with God’s heart.
9. He is the same with everyone.
10. He does not minister legalism or licentiousness.
11. He is wise in his walk.
12. He takes people beyond themselves.
13. He despises anything that hurts others.
14. He proclaims his dependence on God.
15. He is well balanced.
16. He is efficient, but not at the cost to others.
17. His life is in order.
18. Jesus is His audience.
19. He knows how to bear injustice.
20. He loves the truth.
21. His goal is to know God, and make Him known to others.
22. He is not satisfied if he doesn’t give his best.
23. He is an optimist, not a pessimist.
24. His greatest passion is Jesus.
25. He delights in giving.
26. Others say of him, “That is how my God is.”
27. He doesn’t exploit others.
28. He respects other servants.
29. He is always learning.
30. His convictions are firm, although he can be flexible.
31. He loves being nothing.
Was there something from this list that jumped off the page that you can say, I need to work on that? What were two or three that you will commit to work on? Bill Welte is President/CEO America’s Keswick
Think About This: Let temporal things serve thy use, but the eternal be the object of thy desire. Thomas a Kempis
This Week’s Verse to Memorize: For thy name’s sake, O Lord, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great. Psalm 25:11