Jan and I were privileged to take an 11 day trip to the Holy Land with America’s Keswick. When people say it will change you, they are so right. I will never read the bible the same way again.
We met a couple on our trip that have lived in Toms River most of their lives and yet have never heard of America’s Keswick. They come from a Catholic background and it was fascinating to hear the husband’s questions. You could see the wheels turning as we visited each site.
As we arrived at the airport to leave, the wife’s cell phone rang and she screamed and almost fainted. The call was from the coroner reporting that their 22 year old son had been found dead in his room from an overdose to heroin.
The next hour was very painful to watch as this Mom sobbed over the death of her son. He had been through Teen Challenge and was at a halfway house with good accountability.
I have served at America’s Keswick for 20 years and this was my first time to be in the presence of a family when they received the news that their loved one had died from an overdose. This moment will be forever etched in my mind.
It is a reminder that:
- The enemy comes to steal, kill and destroy.
- Addiction is such a powerful thing and too often ends in death.
- Every man or woman who is yielding to their drug of choice should have to sit with a family when the news is delivered to witness first hand the pain that comes with an addiction related death.
- Statistically, parents who lose kids to death are at great risk for marital failure and even suicide.
- Jesus Christ has come to give life and set the captives free. We’ve seen it happen over the course if our soon to be 120 years.
If you have a loved one struggling with addiction, we have a team of folks who stand ready to pray for you and your loved one. If you will email me their first name, we will join you in crying out to a God to rescue, redeem and restore them.
Rejoice! Pray! Give thanks!
Bill Welte D.D.
Written by Dr. Bill Welte, President/CEO of America’s Keswick: Bill has been married to his child sweetheart for 40+ years, and has three married kids, one that is engaged, and 10 amazing grand kids. He loves music and is an avid reader..
Think About This: “Whoever wants the next generation most will get them.” – Adolph Hitler
This Week’s Verse to Memorize:
“holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.” Philippians 2:16